department history

Dietetics and Human Nutrition Timeline

In the early 1900s, the first 40 students at the University of Kentucky were taught food and elementary dietetics, followed by the development of Domestic Science and Home Economics programs, and family cooking demonstrations through Extension. All played a role in leading to the establishment of the Department of Nutrition and Food Science, which was renamed the Department of Dietetics and Human Nutrition.

1906: Food and elementary dietetics taught to 40 students

1908: School of Domestic Science became department in College of Arts and Sciences

1908: Course outline for Bachelor of Science with a major in domestic science developed

1910: Home Economics became department in College of Agriculture

1913: Helen Wolcott becomes first State Extension Agent

1914: Home demonstration agents hired to serve 12 counties

1918: Food labs equipped in Agriculture Hall & department operated cafeteria established

1922: “A Manual for Home Demonstration Clubs for Women” published

1925: The first county homemakers’ organizations were established

1934: First cooperative house for women established on campus

1940: The Home Economics Building opened

1941: The college name changed to College of Agriculture and Home Economics

1942: Funkhouser building completed

1968: Department of Nutrition and Food Science established